13 April 2015

I Think, Therefore I Review.: Lady Chatterley's Lover

I Think, Therefore I Review.: Lady Chatterley's Lover: Lady Chatterley’s Lover Wasn’t All That Shocking A 'Novel' Guest Review By Leigh Wood


After one too many viewing’s of the 1992 BBC production of Lady Chatterley, I finally broke down and read the book. I thought the 1928 unedited version of Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence would be a tough book to find. Expensive, rare, old leather, smelly, buried in an antiquarian store-that type of book. Indeed I was very pleased to find the 1928 Unexpurgated Oriali Edition in paperback at my local Borders. $4.95!

I wrapped Mists of Avalon as quickly as possible and avoided watching the film before I plunged into Lover. I read other writers’ criticisms on D.H. Lawrence and his works before purchasing the book, and I knew the book and movie didn’t have the same ending. Of course, I also knew the book’s controversial reputation and supposedly salacious use of naughty words and torrid sex talk. My edition opened with forwards and introductions detailing the book’s tough road to publication and the aftermath of censorship. Although this story is fairly well known in literary circles, this introduction is informative, with details and facts on the books printing, pirated editions, and trial information. Even if one was a toe towards prudish, you can’t not be interested in reading Lady Chatterley’s Lover after these words of praise....


No comments:

Webrings and Beyond...

Powered by WebRing.